Paige's Deep Thoughts
Send As SMS
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Prepare yourself, this is going to be a long one.
There are times in my life when people ask me,
"What did you guys walk out of the church to when you got married?"
My reply, "Well, we didn't get married in a church. We got married in an art museaum and walked out to Dee by Ozzy Ozbourne."
Then they look at me and run away!

What seems perfectly normal to me, always amazes me how it affects others.
First of all, Dee is a beautiful, melodic song that went along with the Renaissance theme.
(I didn't mention that, oh yea. It had a Renaissance theme. Sorta. My dress did anyway. And the music. Sorta. Everything was played acoustically on guitar by Hubby's friend. The one we're going to Hilton Head this weekend to see married.)
It's not even like we didn't plan to get married in a church. We just lucked out to get married in an Art Museum (In the Great Hall, it looked just like the picture).
You too can have that luxary!
4 steps to an art museum wedding:
1. Book a place somewhat resembling a church. (It actually used to be a Babtist church)
2. Have it bought by some Indians (Like from India. Very nice people.)
3. Have the new owners turn the building into an actual church. (I think it was Budist)
4. Finially, have them void your contract within two weeks of your wedding.

The art museum I would love to say was planned, but it was the only place in Huntsville that wasn't booked for New Year's Eve. And yes, I thought it would be a fantastic idea to be married on New Year's Eve. Honestly, it wasn't that bad of an idea. Just a pain in the neck to plan.

The next question:
"Weren't your uber religious Church of Christ inlaws upset with you guys for having a wedding not in a church?"
short answer- Yes.
Long answer:
Hubby's parents are uber religious Church of Christ. Church of Christ do not allow music in their church. I told them I would not be having a wedding without music. Tim and I love music and weddings are for things you love, including music. I was supposed to walk down the isle to silence. I think not!
My parents didn't want to go to a Church of Christ church, Hubby's parents didn't want to go to a Babtist church, my father wanted me to be married Catholic because that would be proper. A Catholic church seemed to jab at Hubby's parents, mom didn't mind, dad wanted it, so Hubby and I looked into some really pretty Catholic churches around town. (Yes, I know this isn't a good reason. It doesn't matter anyway, keep reading.)
No priest would marry us.
The Catholic churches we looked into used their own priests for their own churches. No brining preachers of a different faith and no Catholic priest would marry us because we were not involved in the church.
We finially found a Church of Christ preacher that had agreed to marry us. (And he is the sweetest man on the face of the planet and we love him. )

And that's the story of our beautiful, well planned wedding. It was a fluke.

Just a note:
I made ALL the decorations for the previous venue, not the art museum. I used silk flowers, blue and white roses, and silver sparkles. I borrowed an ourdoor arch with lights from a family friend and decorated it with silk flowers. We used fish bowls on the tables with floating candles (which previously were allowed to be lit, but not at the museum. But it was fine.) and silk flowers and velvet squares (the Renaissance thing again). Thankfully they didn't look too stupid in the Art Museum. My dress and three bridesmaid dresses were purchased from Bridal Discount Warehouse in Nashville, TN for less than 400 dollars. The art museum, in her ultimate kindness and regret for our situation, lent us pedistals for flower arrangements and gave my husband and I a case of Champagne. (Really, really good, GOOD expensive imported Champagne. Still the best I've ever had.) All in all, my wedding was a calamity of errors. (Like that they forgot I was in the little room alone and no one helped me into my dress so I walked down the isle with it unbuttoned but no one noticed.) But it was good. Our friends made up the majority of the attendees and families stayed on seperate sides of the rooms and it was good.
(But I still can't look at the pictures of it two and a half years later because of the stress that it brings forth.)

The moral of the story:
Weddings are not for the bride and groom. If the bride and groom truly love each other...go to the court house and use the money you would have spent on the wedding for the best honeymoon ever. :)


3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

I agree. We did a small wedding so it was just us and immediate family and a few friends. It was wonderful. But I would have freaked if our venue cancelled on us two weeks before the wedding. Although I was also in the middle of finals at that point so I probably would have freaked at much less.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont't feel bad... I'm notorious for long posts...lol.
I think that's why I never win BoB... people just don't want to read that much when voting.

BTW... I'm adding you to my links lists on my sites... you may be inteseted in my pet blog below.

Your puppy told me to give you my links.

Aidana
HORSES:
http://www.blogcharm.com/ShuvaniStablesAllNaturalHorseAndLivestockRemedyAndProductBlog/
PETS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/KenderKennelPetCare/
EXOTICS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/shuvanimals/

Haha, my husband and I 'eloped' and got married on the Southern Belle Riverboat in Chattanooga, and spent three days there exploring the sights. I think we spent less than a thousand bucks on our entire wedding and honeymoon, including attire and gas to and from Chattanooga.

Interesting wedding story; I loved hearing about it!

Post a Comment

<< Home



body>